Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Churros

Growing up, we spent a lot of time in Mexico.  My family had a cotton ranch in Sonora Mexico. And one of my favorite memories is being in line at the border coming back into the states, and the men with churros carts, weaving in and out of the lined up cars.  And my parents always obliged our pleas for a bag of Churros. 

And they did come in a bag.  A bag stained with grease and filled with warm, crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, cinnamon sugar covered heaven.  I know I am going a little overboard, but I am just channeling my former child self, and I remember how much I loved them. I still remember that they were 10 for a $1.

A few nights ago I decided to make a batch.  And my husband and I watched the last season of the Sopranos and ate Churros.  And it was great. 


Ingredients:
(Pate a Choux)
 1 cup bread flour or all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup whole milk
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
4-5 eggs

Method:
 Sift together the dry ingredients and set aside.  
Bring the water, milk and butter to a boil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. When it comes to a boil, remove the pan from the heat and ad the flour mixture all at once.  Using a sturdy spoon, stir vigorously to combine.
Return the mixture to the heat and stir constantly.  Cook for at least 4 minutes or until the dough becomes smooth. 





Transfer the hot mixture to a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment or use a hand mixer.  Mix on low speed for a minute to cool the dough down to 180 degrees or until the steam evaporates. Add the eggs one at a time mixing after each so the dough has time to absorb the eggs.  Scrap down the bowl after each before adding the next. Before you add the last egg you have to test for consistency. Pinch off a little of the dough and with your thumb and index finger, then pull your fingers apart.  The dough should stretch and not break.  If it breaks add the 5th egg.  The dough should be shinny. 


Place the dough in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.  Heat canola oil to 350 degrees. Pipe strips of dough into the hot oil.  Use a knife to cut the dough off at the tip.



Once they are golden brown, remove them from the heat onto a paper towel.




Now the finishing touch. Toss the hot Churros in cinnamon sugar. (1 cup sugar, 1teaspoon cinnamon) 




Now all that is left is to eat them.  FYI they don't last over night.  They get soft and soggy.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment