Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Zucchini and suqash saute





This is a dish that my mom used to make all the time when I was growing up. It is a great way to use zucchini and squash in a way that is tasty to even kids.




My moms version is pretty much the same except that she cubes the pork and sautes them first in the pan and adds them back in the end. But since I was cooking for my in laws, I thought I would church it up a little and serve whole pork chops.




I picked up these Zucchini and squashes from the Monicas. Choose ones that are not too large. I like mine a litter smaller for this recipe.



Ingredients:


3 medium zucchini, large diced


3 medium yellow squash, large diced


1 yellow onion, diced


5 garlic cloves, minced


3 tomatoes *


1 table spoon tomato paste*


1/4 cup olive oil


2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese optional


*if you want you can use 1 medium can of crushed tomatoes in place of the fresh tomatoes and the tomato paste.



Method:


Heat up the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and let cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is tender. Add the zucchini and squash, salt and pepper to taste, and cook for another 5 minutes until they start to get tender. Add the tomatoes and the tomato lower the heat and let simmer for about 1o minutes. Every thing will release their juices and all the flavors will meld together.



Now the optional part, you can stop and enjoy it as it is or you can add the cheddar cheese and add a cheesy loveliness to it! But it is up to you.

As you can see, I served this as a side dish with jasmine rice and pan seared pork chops. But you can serve it with what ever you would like.

Enjoy!
















No comments:

Post a Comment