Monday, February 22, 2010

Buttermillk Pancakes

 
There is something  decadent about having a stack of pancakes on a cool Sunday morning.  Maybe it is all the years of working during Sunday brunch in my past. But when I have the the chance to stay in my pajamas, sip coffee and make pancakes, I get the sense that all is right with the world.  Add a little Van Morisson and I am giddy.  

Two weeks ago, before the Saturday Mardi Gras parades, I made some pancakes for my God son and his friend, who were astonished that you could make pancakes that did not come out of a box. "You know how to make pancake mix?", they questioned with doubt in their 7 year old eyes.

I know I seem to be getting a little serious about pancakes, but these are so fluffy, so good, and so warming.

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons melted butter, plus more for pan
1 1/2 cup buttermilk

Method:
Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients and mix until combined. You may have some small lumps, don't be alarmed.

Heat a griddle over medium heat. Brush the pan with melted butter.  Ladle the batter on to the griddle. The amount depends on the size of the pancake you prefer.  Cook on one side until the top is covered in tiny little holes. Flip and finish cooking on the reverse side. This is quick.
Butter and top with Real maple syrup and you are in for a treat.

 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment