Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sunday night dinner with friends



I am lucky enough to have good friends that are great chefs.  And at work they cook innovated, food all week long and so when we get together at our house, I like to cook good home style food.

When I asked my husband if he was in the mood to have some friends over for Sunday dinner he said, "We'll talk about it."  And when he came to see me at the market that Saturday I asked again if he wanted to have friends over and he looked at my baskets full of Market veggies I purchased there and said, "I guess we are having dinner."

I just couldn't help myself.  There were so many beautiful vegetables at the Market.  Brussel sprouts from Mr. Jim, beautiful  baby carrots from the Monicas, greens from Lucy...It all just dictated to me what supper would be.

Of course there are many vegetarians who would stop there but we are a group of meat eaters.  So we picked up a large beef tender loin and some charcoal and headed home.

You can choose any meat you would like so here are the recipes for the vegetables since they were the star to the meal.  And I have left out amounts because the amounts are not important it is the methods that you'll want to follow.

Lets start with the baby carrots...




Oh so simple... First you'll need to clean the carrots, just remove the green leafs. You can leave a little of the stems. Next get a ice bath ready. Blanch the carrots for about 2 to 3 minutes in salted water until they are slightly flexible.  Remove from the water and right into the ice bath.  What is great is that you can blanch them ahead of time and finish them off before dinner.  To finish them just place them on a sheet pan and toss them in olive oil and honey, salt and pepper and roast in an oven heated to 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.


Next the tomatoes...Again so simple.



I love, love, love roasted tomatoes.  And these cherry tomatoes were wonderful.  Sometimes they are called Capri tomatoes.  I love the look of them still on the vine...there is just something beautiful about it.   And like the carrots I just place them on a sheet tray.  sprinkle them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes until they just start to shrink and burst.  Serve warm or at room temp.

Now the brussel sprouts.



Once more....blanch trimmed sprouts in salted, boiling water until knife tender.  Place in ice bath to stop cooking.  In a large saute pan saute sliced pancetta in a little olive oil.  Once the pancetta starts to get a little crispy add the blanched brussel sprouts,  salt and pepper.  Go light on the salt because sometimes  pancetta can be salty. Taste for saltiness.  Saute for a couple minutes.  Add some julienned mint and plate.


And for dessert I made a beautiful Triffle that I like to call, "Strawberry Sue"  Here is a photo of it I will post the recipe in a later blog.



Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. the trifle look so delicious.Impatient to see the recipe!

    ReplyDelete