Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Yellow cupcake with Chocolate ganache

Sometimes I wounder if it is a good thing that I always have on hand, what it takes to make a treat when ever I want.  But last week, when I was really craving a cup cake, I was very glad that I just had to open the pantry and start baking to satisfy my craving.

So I enlisted the help of my Godson, K. and went to work.  And let me tell you that they were indeed exactly what I wanted.  I really like the old combination of yellow cake and chocolate frosting.  Here I made a dark chocolate ganache frosting. 

Ingredients:
(Chocolate ganache)
 12 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 2/3 cups heavy cream
2 oz unsalted butter, softened

Method:
Break the chocolate into pieces and process in a food processor until very fine.
Heat the cream to the boiling point and, with the motor running, pour it through the feed tube in a steady stream.    Process for a few seconds until smooth. 

 

 

Transfer to a bowl and stir in the butter,  Allow to cool for several hours until it is frosting consistency.


Ingredient:
(Yellow cupcakes from the Cake Bible)
6 large egg yolks  
1 cup milk
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups cake flour, sifted
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 oz unsalted butter, softened

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake pans with cupcake wrappers.

In a medium bowl lightly combine the yolks, 1/4 cup milk, and the vanilla.   In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredient and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend.  Add the butter and remaining 3/4 cup of milk.  Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened.  Increase to medium speed and beat for 
1 1/2 minutes to aerate and develop the cakes structure.  Scrape down the sides.  Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredient and strengthen the structure.  Scrape down the sides.  

Fill the cupcake wrappers 3/4 the way full


  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until they spring back  when touched.  Remove and let cool on a rack.  Once cooled you can frost them.


  

  

Enjoy!

1 comment: